2.10.2009

d&c blog no 3

in march 1836, the Kirtland, Ohio temple was dedicated and a pentecostal season opened on the saints. this part of the doctrine and covenants actually coincided with the sunday school lesson this past sunday and, it must have been the spirit of the sabbath, but I really felt the true wonderfulness of what happened as I read this passage in the book:

"The ceremonies of that dedication may be rehearsed, but no mortal language can describe the heavenly manifestations of that memorable day. Angels appeared to some, while a sense of divine presence was realized by all present, and each heart was filled with 'joy inexpressible and full of glory'. A noise was heard like the sound of a rushing mighty wind, which filled the Temple, and all the congregation simultaneously arose, being moved upon by an invisible power. Many began to speak in tongues and prophesy; others saw glorious visions; and I beheld the Temple was filled with angels ..."

how beautiful and marvelous! I can't even really comprehend what it would have been like to be there. I cannot find the words to describe the power of this testimony in me.

a week later, the Savior himself appeared to joseph smith and others in the temple to pronounce his approval of his house. joseph describes him by saying, "His countenance shone above the brightness of the sun; and his voice was as the sound of the rushing of great waters, even the voice of Jehovah." I love that the only way to even attempt to describe the Savior is through nature. dr. holzapfel pointed out that not long before these events, joseph had been to visit niagara falls. he knew what the sound of rushing of great waters was like. but what I love about nature is the complete harmony of its majesty and grandeur with its peace and purity. inside the outward manifestation of power is the emanation of peace, a soothing balm to the soul.

I've been studying the nature of peace a lot lately and this reminds me of section 6 verse 23 that says the Lord speaks peace to the mind. I imagine that Christ's voice speaks peace and in the action of speaking it, creates it. so the voice of Christ is peace. and because the desire to give peace to our souls comes from His love for us, his voice is also a manifestation of his pure love for us. and I find that both comforting and exquisitely beautiful.

1 comment: