1.06.2009

the ghost of tim past

I suddenly remembered a friend I had named tim lemm. we were in the same third grade class. he liked me. and he was the most ridiculous mess ever. his desk was such an awful wreck that miss gedney made him miss recess to clean it. and of course he got to choose an organized student to stay and help him clean it up. guess who? somehow, sometime, I didn't mind him and I went and played at his house once. and then I played at his house a lot. and then we were really good friends. what do you know. here's what I remember:

playing shoot 'em up stealth mission computer games. we were saving hostages.
playing RISK or something similar.
eating powdered sugar by the spoonful.
he couldn't believe that I hadn't seen jurassic park.
playing on his jungle gym that had a rope swing on it. there was also a sandbox.
I often wore a particular striped short-sleeve shirt in sherbet-y colors that was some kind of plush or something. my grammie bought it for me. he thought it was soft.
he saw mulan before I did and came back with a word-for-word description of the pot-smashing action at the beginning of the let's get down to business song. complete with demonstration. and singing.
he had a golden retriever. named charlie, I think. and a sister named beth.
his mom drank coke. lots of them. every day. she was tall and blond and scandinavian.

it's funny how many memories you have in your head that you've forgotten all about. people. places. minute details that stand out so starkly against the vast fuzziness of the majority of the past. I always thought that I have a pretty bad memory, but sometimes I surprise myself with spectacular details, scenes and descriptions that replay in my head so vividly. it makes me wonder what was it about it that made it stick with me so well?

minds hold more than they know.

so here's to you tim and the memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment