3.23.2009

Monday morning wake up knowing that you've got to go to school

well, now that it's mostly resolved, I'm ready to tell you all the story:

for those of you unaware (that's probably just you, huw) I live in an immersion French language dorm. the woman in charge of signing people up and interviewing them, marie-laure, she had me come in for my interview for next fall/winter way in advance, just to get it out of the way early. so I had my interview, was absolutely cleared for next year, and had my admittance form signed. she told me to hang on to it for a long time, though, til she told me to come in and get my contract.

so I sat tight. for a couple months. and then suddenly everybody is signing up online and choosing their bed and everything. so I got online too to pick my bed so me and oceane can stay in the same dorm, but it wouldn't let me. I emailed marie-laure for her to clear me on the computer to sign up, but she called me back and said that she'd come to dinner once and made an announcement that all the old forms were void and they were doing everything online and that the french house was all full now and she'd put me on a waiting list ?!? yeah, cause one random announcement with not everyone there is adequate to void contracts and inform everyone responsibly ...

I kind of just said ok and hung up the phone and gradually got more and more panicked during the subsequent processing time while I was walking to work. I spent the first hour of work freaking out about not being in the french house and not having anywhere to live. I even decided that if I didn't get in, I was just going to go home and work. then oceane came into the lab and got me all riled up and I decided I was going to live in the french house. I had a signed acceptance form that I can't get out of without paying money so why should they be able to get out of it either? I was so pissed off. the organization of the department is so ridiculously incompetent.

that was on friday. I went into the office to try and get it cleared up, but everyone was already gone, so I had to worry the whole weekend. I actually might be better at compartmentalizing my emotions than I ever thought possible. I didn't think about it much. they made the decision today about whether or not there would be a third french girls apartment or not, and they decided to add it, so I'm in!! granted, two floors down from oceane, but that's not going to stay that way. I'll switch with someone. or sleep on oceane's couch every day. I don't care.

and that is the end of my story.

1 comment:

  1. you and i have similar freakouts, just about very different things.

    have you listened to florence and the machine yet? you need to do that asap. you will fall in love. try imeem, or last.fm. i know you can't get youtube.

    or www.florenceandthemachine.net

    ReplyDelete