11.21.2008

whether

they build up
in my chest, somehow both buried in and bearing down on my lungs
in my mind, neither in nor on but a complete melding into its entire form
they appear nonchalantly and spread
inconspicuous and harmless on their own
but frightening, panic-inducing
each time I happen to glance inward
once in awhile
on a whim
every seventeen and a quarter minutes

+++

I have a runny nose
because I'd be scared too
because I remember the hopeless sincerity of his sobbing
because these things never happen when I am there, when I can be in control of something
because everything is a precursor to a day when I will have to say goodbye
and saying goodbye is painful and frightening
especially
when you're never quite sure if the love you gave
was enough to make up for all the other times
in time

+++

I talk loudly, excessively
annoyingly
and the things that come out of my mouth surprise me
my brain can't tell me why it wants to hear these things spoken
they seem unrelated and useless
only stirring the cloudiness that's settled

+++

if you wait around long enough, the weather man will always be right.

No comments:

Post a Comment