11.08.2008

president obama

well, we have a new president.

can I just say right now how freaking excited I am?!? the night of the election, I started watching cnn at 5pm and stayed up til past midnight. it was pretty much a landslide and it was pretty much incredible. virginia finally went blue for the first time since 1964, which is way exciting. in fact, if obama had lost every other swing state but gotten virginia, he still would have won. we pulled through! mccain's speech was very good, much more reminiscent of the pre-campaign mccain, the one I respected. obama's acceptance speech was incredible. I expected a little more of the first black president emphasis, but he downplayed it for some reason and cancelled the scheduled fireworks at the end. I know he's not perfect, I know he's going to make mistakes, but for the first time in a long time I trust the leader of our country, what he says and what he does. I believe he has pure motives and good morals and that he won't take immoral shortcuts to get to his worthy ends. we have a lot of problems to fix in this country and it's going to be hard, but I really believe that he is our best hope.

the more I read about palin, the more I am disgusted with her. if that woman thinks she has any hope of a future in national politics, I swear. the fact that she does and the fact that people will actually support her bid for future federal positions, that's what's ridiculous. though I suppose I should thank her, being the emphatic downfall of mccain's campaign and all. she wanted to give a pre-concession speech, but was flat-out refused(I think everyone in that campaign hated her). thank goodness.

I wanted so badly to be in virginia on election night to party it up with the streets full of people who were so so happy. instead I was in utah, so I found carlos and we ran to the creamery and bought sangria to celebrate and ran around the flsr pounding on doors and shouting. and then it started snowing and it was magical. I called my mom and at the end of our conversation, I asked her what she thought about the election, cause I was so excited and didn't have anyone to talk to about it, but she got pissed off and asked if I was going to gloat. I guess she's more extreme than I thought. I love that my dad's a moderate.

a black man is our president. and a qualified, inspirational, uniting and moral man at that. and millions of people from all ages, races, colors and backgrounds believe in him and what he can do. and I think that's pretty amazing. I am proud that one day I will be able to tell my children that I helped elect him.

3 comments:

  1. i did call my mom to gloat and she told me to go to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was not "pissed off" ( how I hate that phrase), but I am now. I was teasing when I made the comment about gloating. How could you not tell?

    ReplyDelete
  3. woah woah
    pretty easily.
    you sounded very sincerely annoyed to me. there was nothing joking about it.

    ReplyDelete