8.19.2008

story - why are you here?

"Why are you here?"
"Well, my girlfriend broke up with me about a year ago, but we live in the same city and she's dating someone else and I just see her everywhere. I mean, it's no surprise, she was wonderful.  I just ... just needed to take a break for a bit, see something other than his hand on her waist." His fingers had begun to unconsciously toy with the biscuits sitting on his plate. By the time he'd glanced up to catch the poignant look in her eyes, it was a war zone of shortbread casualties and streaks of jelly blood adhering crumbs to the plate. "Why are you here?"
"My sister's going on vacation and I'm house-sitting. I didn't want to get in their way while they're packing, so I got a hotel for the couple days before they leave." She slipped a new biscuit onto his plate.
"They?"
"Her husband. It's their anniversary."
"Ah." He nodded knowingly and took a sip of his tea.
She looked bemused. "What does that mean? Ah."
"Means I see. I see that there's going to be way more vintage wine than you can handle yourself, and that you're going to be dreadfully lonely with only a couple house plants and the cat for company."
She took the biscuit back and replied coyly, "Not quite. It's a dog, too many houseplants for me to kill, a private beach ... and a stranger." They drank their eye emotions somberly.
"Must he be strange?"
"Absolutely. Anyone normal would overwater the plants and try to knock me out with cheap liquor and get me in bed.  A stranger is the only man I can trust."

No comments:

Post a Comment