8.24.2008

story - later

She opened the door to the rain and a familiar frame dripping on the step. Her mouth hardened into a line. "Why are you here?"
"Well. I had this girlfriend, but she left me for some reason. I never figured out if she was trying to be noble or ... or if it was just me. And I just see her everywhere. She was wonderful. I can't go anywhere, I can't walk my dog, I can't buy toilet paper, I can't listen to a single goddamn song without hearing her, feeling her. I'm not even sure she exists anymore." She chewed her lip and blinked in silence. "Why are you here?"
"I live here."
"Ah." He nodded bitterly. Her face hardened and she stepped out into the downpour.
"You listen to me. I don't have to hear this. I don't have to answer to you. I already gave you all the answers I have, and if that's not enough, I don't know what to tell you anymore. I don't know what you want me to do!"
"My god, Nadia!" He stepped closer to her. "I can't just wait here for you to pull your shit together! I love you." He watched her eyes fill and spill out onto her cheeks. It was impossible to tell which rivulets came from her eyes and which from the rain. He reached his hands up to hold her face. She looked up at him with a flooded but steady gaze. "I can't do this," he whispered, and then kissed her hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment