8.10.2008

story - jack mackenna

"This is a fucking joke, right?"  Jack MacKenna saw his best friend's mouth tighten into a thin line.  "You're serious?"
"Yes, I'm serious.  How can you think I'm joking when I'm smoking a bloody cigarette?  You know I only smoke when I'm serious.  God, I've never been more serious in my life."
"You find some woman in your hotel room, you don't fuck, and you think you're in love with her?  I mean, you've always been decent and noble and shit, but ... "  Searching Noah's eyes behind the smoke haze, Jack's voice took on a pleading note.  "Don't you think this is a bit ridiculous?  You don't fall in love in a week, and you certainly don't fall in love without a good --"
"I don't expect you to understand, Jack!"  Noah jumped up from the bench, pacing, gesticulating with his cigarette in his hand, drawing arcs of smoke around his head.  "I don't expect you to know what it is about 
her --"  A snort of derision.  Noah turned to face him.  "I'm just asking you to take me seriously and deal with this, with her, a good bit more graciously than you usually do.  We've known each other since ... I don't think I'm asking too much."
"You're not.  You're not, Noah."  Jack sobered, but only for a moment.  Then, with an impish smile, "I'll just pretend I know nothing about her and try to ignore the fact that you haven't done her."  Noah rolled his eyes, but smiled grudgingly and flopped back down.  "Either you're more incompetent than I thought or she's got a flat ass or something."  He grabbed the cigarette out of Noah's mouth and tossed it.  
"Come on, you're too noble for cigarettes."

4 comments:

  1. yep, i'm upset i didn't think of this first. brilliant. except, you don't smoke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i told you. this is the non-mormon version of us (well, me.)

    i'm glad you approve :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i don't think you would smoke no matter what religion you are/were...nope, i just don't see it.
    maybe you'd try it, or be a stress smoker, but not a smoker smoker.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's exactly what's happening in the story. and that's why you throw my cigarette away. because i'm not really like that.

    ReplyDelete