6.26.2008

I'm out of shape

today, I played lacrosse with gregory. played being a completely relative term, of course. he doesn't cradle and has a whole lot more willingness to completely tire himself out. and we were on one-man teams. my one moment of awesomeness was when my shot missed the section of fence that was the goal, but hit this giant knot in the wood and completely busted it. it was pretty sweet. the basic skills came back much more quickly than I thought they would -- cradling, scooping, throwing. I don't think it would take very long to get back to my old skill level, considering I wasn't very skilled. but I am just way out of shape. I came inside and my face was ridiculously pink. but that's just cause I'm pink.

since I've been watching wimbledon of late, it occurred to me that when an athlete reaches a level of professional competition, their equipment loses all value. right now, my lacrosse stick is awesome and I love it and wouldn't want another one. but if I were a pro, it wouldn't be that big of a deal if it cracked or wore out and I had to get a new one. ballerinas get new toe shoes twice a week. tennis players go through more than one racquet in a match. I think it's kind of depressing that you lose that relationship with your enablers.

I guess I'm comparing it to music; it's because in sports, any stick with quality and features up to par will work. and the same goes with instruments, I suppose, but my viola is so much a part of me. yes, I can play any instrument, but I don't want any instrument, I want mine. because it's an extension of everything I put into my music. I think the soul of an athlete's performance is much more internal and distanced from the external equipment. when you find the stick you like, a massive enterprise of manufacturing can supply you indefinitely. but my viola is handmade and I'll never have another just like it.

3 comments:

  1. i feel the same way about playing the piano, or all of my softball equipment. i'm sure if i started playing more regularly i would get my skill back (on the piano). but when i play softball, i really want to play with my glove and my bat. if i use someone else i can preform just as well, but i like to think i can do better with my things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh mamacita, how could YOU ever be out of shape...it's such a tiny shape! A friend of ours passed along your blog (can you guess who?!?!) so I just had to say howdy. Give me buzz if you are ever in the area (why you would be in Richmond VA I will never know!!) ---Luv Charisse (aka Sis Thomas :) )

    ReplyDelete
  3. gah!! charisse!!!
    i've been wanting to get ahold of you for forever but didn't know if you still had the same cell phone or still habituated richmond (that monstrosity of humidity). i guess it wouldn't have been that hard to call :(
    how are you?? i will make it to richmond to see you.
    much love

    ReplyDelete