6.29.2009

words

some quotes from what I've been reading lately, Dubliners by Joyce and The Secret Scripture by Sebastian Berry.

"Her name sprang to my lips at moments in strange prayers and praises which I myself did not understand. My eyes were often full of tears (I could not tell why) and at times a flood from my heart seemed to pour itself out into my bosom ... My body was like a harp and her words and gestures were like fingers running upon the wires." (Araby)

"He was merely floating there in the room, insusbstantial, a living man in the midst of life, dying imperceptibly on his feet, like all of us."

"I felt I was in a condition of waiting, waiting for something unknown to replace the grace of being young. Of course I was young, very young, but as I remember it, no one is ever quite so old as a fifteen-year-old girl."

and here's the vocab I got from the two books. I haven't looked them up yet, though. I get them all in context, but I couldn't tell you what they mean. how many do you know?

truculent
sedulously
paltry
impinge
raillery
slatternly
timorous
venal
propinquity
titular
soutane
salubrious
sinecure
revenant
sere
inveigled
valency
concomitant

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I like the vocab list. I'm sure I couldn't really help you out definition wise. I only recognized a few.

    ReplyDelete