7.01.2009

starstruck lovers

here we are, dear
won't you take my hand?
it's not far from here
just at the top of the hill

yes, I know the sunset's already done
it's pretty, but not what I had in mind
tonight, I want to show you a different kind
of beauty, a quieter light than the sun,
even a bedding down one.

I'd love to just stand here at the top
with you, hand in hand, for the next hour,
and the wind sweeping us into our
contented infinity

but that's not why I brought you here.

now lie down next to me, no don't let go,
just look up. do you see it? let me show
you. he's always there, I promise.
well, he promised me. Orion, that is,
a steadfast friend

and the seven sisters, half here
half there twinklers that flicker
in and out of your focal point.
you have to be careful, if
they know you're watching they'll try
to trick wink you out of your mind.

I bet you thought that was it,
this nightlight showcase of old friends,
but the faintest light was your surprise tonight,
the heartshine in my eyes that you
may not have even seen.

sometimes it's easy to miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment