5.08.2010

stockings and skirts

what if I sang til my vocal chords broke
and I had nothing left but a whispery croak
and my fingers
til the day I died?
and if I shaved off all my hair, just to be free
of it? of them? what then?
and if I peeled off my clothes and left them
in a pile at the old stone wall
and lay in the sand with the tide
licking my ankles and reaching up
to kiss my bare curves as I married myself to the sun?
would you kiss me too?

what if I climbed into the highest tree
I could find,
with wings glued to my shoulder blades,
and refused to come down
for dinner?
or if I packed a suitcase full of shortbread biscuits,
stockings and skirts,
packed it full and dragged it out
to the bottom of the lane
and sat on it til the sun waned -
waiting?
would you bring tea for the biscuits?

what if you walked away from me and disappeared
like a phantom
to shape-shift into someone I never knew?
would bullets hurt you?
or words reach you?
or desperation draw you back to my arms?
would your features haunt me?
or the details taunt me?
- surprise attacks -
on a day I thought I had managed to forget you
- peppery bursts of 'friendly fire'
that take me out at the knees

it's okay
I guess I don't need my knees

No comments:

Post a Comment