9.01.2010

slightly (un)settled

I am in pittsburgh
it is a lovely city
and I may not be in love with it yet
but already it feels like home

not everything is unpacked
but I built some furniture
and my clothes smell like pine wood
and my books are shelved

the bus isn't as reliable as I'd like
but the bus drivers are kind
and I can hop on pretty much any of them
and it'll get me home

I walked into my building on monday
and surrounded by students
along the halls
I felt like I belong

and already the faces appear
with smiles and questions
and I walk out of my way
to keep the conversation going

I eat toast with marmalade for brunch
because evening classes
and puzzles and phone calls
make for late mornings

when I walk the streets
I feel a kind of liberation
a lightness in the soles of my feet
and only you are missing

beirut is the soundtrack of this city
and my waking dreams are vivid
and I really need to get a job
so I'll be too busy to think of you so much

No comments:

Post a Comment