8.19.2009

my day in london part one

notes of the day, written on all sides of an envelope cause I don't have a notebook at the moment (and it's driving me crazy!!!)

king's cross - day fare & tomorrow's pass to zone 6 (airport)
tube piccadilly to holburn
switch to central to st. paul's
visit cathedral, then take millennium bridge to the tate modern
(walk) to take jubilee from london bridge to westminster
visit houses of parliament & westminster abbey,
then walk away from the river to st. james's park and buckingham palace
walk to harrod's

eat somewhere in there and wander

harrods closes at 9pm
evensong at st. paul's? 5 pm
maybe take the boat? to see the tower of london and tower bridge
or else walk to them

hotel breakfast

okay, I'm ready. let's go!

asian hippies - don't see a lot of those.

paris - young fathers
london - modesty

learn regional american accents so I can tell where people are from. are the differences as noticeable to foreigners as british regional accents are to me? the accent quickly becomes commonplace when everyone around you is speaking it. I think I could totally get used to living in London & love it. it's so much easier without the language barrier. I don't know much of anything about british history & culture - how it differs from mine.

maybe me & mom should come here after graduation for 2 weeks. or a week in england & a week in ireland, scotland and/or wales. gah! that would be so awesome.

music: I need to get the cranberries. I really really do. I'll talk to amanda about that when I'm home. (also florence & the machine)

quotes from the tate modern:

"intrigued by african masks, which he wanted to see exhibited the wrong way round, so that the viewer would be struck less by the presence of the mask than the absence of the wearer."

paintings "as if a human being had passed between them, like a snail, leaving a trail of the human presence and memory trace of past events"

"I am interested in art, but I am more interested in truth"

"the music from the balconies nearby was overlaid by the noise of sporadic acts of violence"

I don't belong in my body.

No comments:

Post a Comment