7.08.2008

working out, wimbledon, work, and wildfires

I've been working out every day with my new short-term gold's gym membership. and by every day I mean so far monday and today. I think it bodes well for the future. I really enjoy it. I don't freak out exercise like some people. I don't feel the need to completely kill myself on a treadmill. I just like to be active and healthy and exercising makes me feel good. I just discovered that I workout better while reading than while listening to music. My favorite part is the euphoric floating feeling you get after when your legs are detached and your head is weightless. I've also been trying to eat fresh fruit with breakfast, something I would never do before. blueberries mmmm.

NADAL WON WIMBLEDON!!! I cannot tell you how excited I am! I was really sad I couldn't watch the match, as it was on sunday. I probably would have watched a bit of it, at least, when I wasn't doing church stuff, but my brothers are extremely impressionable. curse them. it was only possibly the best men's final of wimbledon since the beginning of time! and rafa ended up slightly better than mr. rogers. I think it comes down to their differences in attitude and physical approach. both are incredibly physical athletes of course, and unbelievably talented, but roger's all about finesse and it serves him well against less talented opponents (aka everyone else), but rafa is his match in skill and his gritty, raw power fighting approach gave him the slight edge he needed to beat the "unbeatable" federer. I'm actually sad for federer, who I never used to like before, but found him more care-worthy this season (maybe because of his love set loss to nadal in the french open). BUT not sad enough to want him to keep winning. it's time for a change of power. hellO rafa.

holy crap. the arm. look at the arm.

we're getting a billion kids shoes in the wednesday shipment at work, so last night I was shifting the men's wall about ten feet and adding styles from the bins into the wall. it was more tiring than the usual monday night shifting. I was parched and tweaked my back a couple times and got several cardboard cuts on my fingers again. and got blood on my shirt! but I got it out in the backroom. cause that's gross. I really like the manager aka my boss, dan. because we're mormon, there's an assumed automatic connection that opens up free conversation. at first I thought it was weird, but it's rather complimentary to have your boss share meaningful things like that with you. he has an 18 year old sister, so yet another instance where someone could be my brother (dan, nolen) or father (trowbridge). it's weird to think about. he hired a new manager-in-training named margaret. she's oldish and weird and talks a lot about things nobody cares about or understands. she takes FOREVER to close. but she is very complimentary. but I don't know if dan takes those praises seriously cause she's always saying them. I really don't know why he hired her. she wears scrunchies.

I talked to meesh the other day. I miss her. and today is jessica's birthday. I miss her, too. 

in gospel doctrine a couple of weeks ago, sister havens said that california has huge wildfires right now because gay marriage just became legal there. she is stupid. vermont allows gay marriage and nothing has happened to vermont. and california has had wildfire problems every summer since I can remember. ignorant, self-righteous speculation and logical fallacy. this is why I don't like gospel doctrine in my ward. besides those moments, it's been getting better, though. I still miss the byu ward. it was many times better.

5 comments:

  1. In her defense, she didn't actually say that. She said something about you can't say stuff like that because everyone would attack you for being politically incorrect. Not so much in her defense, the way she said it implied that she did actually believe that. The funny part was that Brother Lewis was the one who rebutted her.

    You're totally nuts, though. These are the moments to go to GD class for. :)

    There was a time earlier this year when we were talking about Christopher Columbus and how he was inspired in his journey (this I agree with). Several people were going on and on about what a great man he was that he could be led by the spirit (this I don't so much agree with).

    My opinion is that he was not a great man, maybe even a bad man but that the Lord is able to use even bad men to further his purposes. So, I basically said this in class and said that CC was one of history's great head-splitters.

    It was my finest hour.

    It's entertaining to look around when someone is spouting some crazy stuff to see who is nodding appreciatively and who is visually disgusted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah. I missed the match, too. I heard was the best match ever.

    I, however, am a big fan of Federer. He just plays the game like no one I've ever seen. I haven't seen too much of Nadal, but I'll have to pay more attention, obviously. I always end up missing tennis when it's on. I may end up downloading the match so I can see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tennis is the only sport I really enjoy watching on tv. I wish had seen that match. Downloading it sounds like a good idea.

    I love it when the crazy people comment in Sunday school. I don't think I'd want to be the teacher, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i appreciate the way you take this craziness and use it for your own humor. i need to try that. it just bothers me cause GD class at byu is an awesome spiritual experience every time. here, you have to listen to many pompous fools spout "wisdom" and argue with the teacher who tries to smooth things over or move on with the lesson.

    it sounds like a very fine hour :)

    oh and there's no question that federer plays tennis like no one has ever played it before. he is capable of playing virtually perfect tennis and make it look graceful and easy. i happen to have a passionate preference for under-dogs, though, so i've never liked him much.

    good plan. we should all download and all watch it. it will be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think sometimes the crazy comments help to reaffirm my beliefs, you know; opposition in all things.

    ReplyDelete