7.16.2008

on cars

me and cars, we have this love/hate relationship. I love to drive stick shift. I love betty, my old truck. there are several cars that I would really love to own (cooper, prius, yaris,). but the reality is, I pretty much suck at driving and wish I could be suddenly the most amazing driver ever, or else never have to drive again in my life. one pro for marriage - we will undoubtedly have a hideous or cumbersome car I do not like, but I can make my husband drive all the time. I plan on never owning a van or mini-van. I know, I know, almost every woman in the world says that at some point and later would kill for one, but I'm really not planning on having that many kids. 

so I backed into someone yesterday. it was probably the most stupid accident you could ever be in. I'm really not that bad of a driver, but when I get in a stressful situation, I react so horribly, it's not even funny. I have absolutely zero driving instinct. I was turning right but was pulled too far forward, in the way of the oncoming lane, whose light just turned green. a car was coming, slowly, waiting for me to pull out. and I panicked. instead of pulling out like this car was letting me do, I reversed without looking into the bright yellow cobalt behind me. smooth. probably the stupidest thing I've ever done in my life. 

we pulled into the sunoco and I apologized about 50 times for real and we exchanged phone numbers. the girl was my age I think, goes to jmu (back windshield sticker), has gross cellulite-y legs unpleasantly revealed by soffe shorts. I was afraid the owner of this clearly new, bright yellow car would be very angry at me. me the juvenile-looking oldsmobile-driving idiot. but she was pretty nice. there was only a tiny dent on the cobalt and a couple scratches on mine (I'm not sure the oldsmobile deserves a name, but I'll think about it).

these two guys at the sunoco came over and gave the girl the name of some guy to fix any damages, etc. they saw the whole thing. they drove a red truck and wore hole-y muscle tees and were both working towards full tattoo sleeves. I thought it amusing how helpful they were to her, young and attractive? bright yellow car owner, and how clearly they completely disregarded me, young yOUng old lame car idiot driver. 

it'll probably all work out, hoping her mom doesn't want a thousand bucks to replace the front bumper (there goes ALL my money I'm earning this summer). I just feel like the stupidest person alive. 


long live betty

4 comments:

  1. that's funny/that sucks.

    my stupid driving mistakes are too numerous to list, but the stupidest had to be rear-ending the person in front of me at a right turn. they'd move up and I'd assume they were going, so I'd look left to watch for my opening and hit the gas...and hit the car which hadn't actually moved. I did that at least twice, possibly more.

    ...and of course, there was the incident with the newly planted tulips...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i feel a bit better knowing that you have done the same stupid thing more than once. how many accidents have you been in?

    what bothers me the most is that i am fitting multiple stereotypes (young, woman) by being a bad driver and it makes me mad.

    tulips? now you have to tell the story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry! Worst feeling ever when you have your first accident. I've done the same thing Ben was talking about twice...Never gets any better you always go back to feeling like a total goober.
    Take it easy on the "cellulite-y legs" thing, not ALL of us are blessed with your petite girlish figure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha i didn't exaggerate my lack of driving instinct. that's not my first accident!

    but not all of us wear soffe shorts.

    ReplyDelete