6.16.2010

backpacking!!!

went on the backpacking trip for my class this past weekend - thursday through saturday - down at the tip of the escalante national park on boulder mail trail. it was so. much. fun. it was also a series of unfortunate events :
- forgot my t.p. and all my ziploc and trashbags while transferring my gear into my backpack
- went 3 miles the wrong way and had to start over again
- locked the truck key in the van at the wrong end of the trail
- pace problems with some people that made for a long long 2nd day
- stuck in the narrows in the rain in flash flood areas
- RAIN and hail too.
it was pretty crazy. but I loved it. I had such a good time! I was completely amazed at my body's ability to carry that much weight without trouble and to go that long. I can't wait to do it again. though while everyone was raving about the landscape, I was thinking to myself I hate this miserable landscape and spent all my time looking at the exquisite sky and clouds. that was just the first desert day - after that we were down in death hollow and the red rock and greenery along the creek was lovely. I'd still choose the shenandoahs any day.





at the end of the trail

I was very much proud of the efficiency of my pack - only used up half the backpack space - and I always knew where everything was. there were some people who had way more than they needed and could never find stuff. I guess that's one advantage of being a categoric, organizing person.

I have some sweet bruises on my knee and many battle wounds on my legs from the murderous underbrush. but no poison ivy! which is amazing, considering the amount of poison ivy we walked through. also, my calves are awesome. if only I could go backpacking every weekend.

1 comment:

  1. The sky picture is awesome! Glad you had a successful experience, sweet bruises and unfortunate events and all.

    ReplyDelete